Change in weight (7/28/20 – 8/3/20): -1.2 LBS
Still trying to build those followers! Follow my blog and instagram @a_better_ben. Like and share!
Sometimes you just need to take the first step and trust your body. There were multiple times this week where we reached the end of the day and I wanted to do nothing. Thankfully, the discipline and commitment over the past months has started to create habits. Because of this, I have gotten better about simply taking the first step.
What does taking the first step mean? Well early this week I had a day with low movement. It was 8pm and I knew I needed to move in some way. I said I would do a short 1 mile walk since it was late. Just that small commitment to a short walk allowed my body to wake up and take over. It turned into a 3 mile walk with some sprint intervals just because I felt good. I got outside and after 5 minutes realized, this walk is great and my body just wanted to move.
The biggest barrier for us is often the first step. This can be an actual step or metaphorical. When I started my health journey, I needed to take the the first step of admitting my problems and starting to fix it. I was in denial and needed to just get going. Our bodies are miraculous and our human sprit and power is incredible. We often just need to allow ourselves the opportunity to prove that we can. This past week, I just needed to step out the door and I just needed to get on the bike. After that, I can do it. And after that, I did it.
A 1-2 pound per week loss is exactly where I want to be. This summer has been hard and I have effectively lost around 15 pound since the start of March when I lost 25 from December – March. I am trying not to dwell on that. I do not do well with the heat. Since working full time from home, it is harder to move and I sit more. I am really focussing on the big picture and where I have come. Between how I feel, my energy, my strength, and my stamina, I am growing each and every week. I know that I will need new work clothes for whenever we actually go back to the office. That is incredible. I am so excited that ill-fitting clothes is my problem.
This past week saw great, consistent movement and a really pragmatic approach to eating. I finished 2 straight months of completing all circles on my apple watch, and felt great about it. Overall I felt that I was not trying to do anything drastic, but simply be cognizant and smart. There was still a cookout, beer, and other foods to be had throughout the week but I was smart about it all. There are those who lose multiple pounds per week and I applaud them! I have learned enough about my own body to know I cannot sustain such changes. I will continue on slow and steady. I will celebrate my improvements while I celebrate others improving their lives in the best way for them.
This morning I put on my go-to work shirt from before Covid. I put it on because it can be difficult to feel certain changes when you deal with small incremental advancements. Well the pictures say it all. 🙂
Leave a like or a comment. Let me know how everybody is doing! Do you feel you could be better at taking that first step? How do you go about motivating yourself for that first step?
If you know anybody who you think might benefit from reading my blog, please share it with them. I would love to reach more people because the success I am currently experiencing comes after years of struggle and frustration that I know many others face. If I can help myself through this, wonderful. If I can help others, even better! I am here to cheer on your effort and work, to whatever goal you are aspiring towards.
Please leave a like or a comment!
How did I do on last weeks action plan?:
- 5 Cardio workouts. 1 45 min ride, 1 HIIT Ride, 1 Low Impact ride, 2 runs. Attained
- 2 Strength Sessions (Tues/Sat) Partially attained
- Plan out my meals, stick to them, and portion snacks. Attained.
- 2 additional outdoor activities. This can include walks with my daughter, disc golfing, skiing, etc. Attained
- 3 dedicated stretch sessions. 2 10-min lower body and 1 10 min full body (Mon/Wed/Fri). Attained
- 20-30 minute midday walk on work days. Attained
- Track every bite. Attained
- Drink 10 glasses of water per day. Attained
- Find some quiet time to calm my thoughts and mind. 2 5-10 minute sessions. Attained
- 5 Cardio workouts. 1 45 min ride, 1 HIIT Ride, 1 Low Impact ride, 1 misc ride, 1 run.
- 2 Strength Sessions (Tues/Sat)
- Plan out my meals, stick to them, and portion snacks
- 2 additional outdoor activities. This can include walks with my daughter, disc golfing, skiing, etc
- 3 dedicated stretch sessions. 2 10-min lower body and 1 10 min full body (Mon/Wed/Fri)
- 20-30 minute midday walk on work days
- Track every bite
- Drink 10 glasses of water per day
- Find some quiet time to calm my thoughts and mind. 2 5-10 minute sessions
Please stay tuned for more updates. If you have been enjoying this, please become an email follower or a wordpress follower. Having this public audience has been a positive motivation for me to continue working towards my goals and so I really am thankful for all of you!
|Date||Change in Weight|
* I first weighed myself on a Sunday night and began the regular weigh-ins the following morning