Change in weight (8/18/20 – 8/24/20): -1.4 LBS
Follow my blog and instagram @a_better_ben. Like , follow, and share with a friend!
This week has been full of surprises. I actually met my stretch and strength training goals!!!!! I’ll talk more on that later. I also was feeling super motivated and worked out a ton this week. According to my tracker, I averaged over 80 minutes of dedicated activity per day. As I spoke about a few days ago, when the motivation wave comes, you have to hop on. I did.
Now, with all that extra activity, a piece of me wanted a big weight drop on the scale. 1.4 pounds down isn’t necessarily dramatic or reflective of all that hard work. But is it? Is the scale the only measure of returns? If I am biking, walking, doing strength, and everything else, I could be seeing growth too. Growth in muscle, growth in discipline, growth in confidence. I should not say ‘could‘. I am. My legs are turning into some strong-ass trunks (I resisted the urge to post a picture). My upper body weight work is reaping returns. More than anything else, my confidence and pride are souring. Those are all results of this hard work, in addition to the weight loss. So I shall continue on with my low and slow, remembering the big picture and all I should be proud of.
With these small gains, I crossed the mark that has been beyond me for so long. I crossed the 300 pound mark that has been out of reach for 5-10 years. I am so proud of this milestone. 300 is still a lot, but it is a lot less. I am doing what I did not think I could. I am succeeding at a goal for me and for my future. Hell yes.
This weeks activity:
I want to break down my activity this week and how proud I am of it all.
Rides:I did a 45 min, two 20 min (one climb), a 30 min HIIT, and a 30 min low impact. I PR’d the 30 minute HIIT ride and man did they feel good.
Strength: I did 2 strength sessions. One 20 minute full body and one 20 minute lower body. Let’s just say they worked. It currently is uncomfortable getting up and sitting down. This tells me I did the right thing and need to continue.
Walks: I did a morning walk every day this week for at least 1.5 miles each. I did 2 walks 5 of the 7 days. My long was a 4.25 mile walk at a sub 15 min/mile pace. I also had a 3 mile hike in the woods with my daughter on my back.
I feel sore. I feel the type of soreness that only comes from true growth. My heart rates were lower for my workouts than they have been before. I felt stronger on my rides and could walk at faster paces than before. These are the feelings that come from returns on personal investment. I have been investing my time, sweat, blood, and everything else for months. They are paying dividends.
Leave a like or a comment. Are you satisfied with your effort? Do you ever need a reminder that what you are doing is enough? Do you need reminding that the scale isn’t the only measure of success?
If you know anybody who you think might benefit from reading my blog, please share it with them. I would love to reach more people because the success I am currently experiencing comes after years of struggle and frustration that I know many others face. If I can help myself through this, wonderful. If I can help others, even better! I am here to cheer on your effort and work, to whatever goal you are aspiring towards.
How did I do on last weeks action plan?:
- 5 Cardio workouts. 1 45 min ride, 1 HIIT Ride, 1 Low Impact ride, 1 run. Attained
- 2 Strength Sessions (Tues/Sat) Attained!!!
- Plan out my meals, stick to them, and portion snacks. Attained.
- 2 additional outdoor activities. This can include walks with my daughter, disc golfing, skiing, etc. Attained
- 3 dedicated stretch sessions. 2 10-min lower body and 1 10 min full body (Mon/Wed/Fri). Attained!!!!!
- 20-30 minute midday walk on work days. Attained
- Track every bite. Attained
- Drink 10 glasses of water per day. Attained
- Find some quiet time to calm my thoughts and mind. 2 5-10 minute sessions. Attained
- 5 Cardio workouts. 1 45 min ride, 1 HIIT Ride, 1 Low Impact ride, 1 misc ride, 1 run.
- 2 Strength Sessions (Tues/Sat)
- Plan out my meals, stick to them, and portion snacks
- 2 additional outdoor activities. This can include walks with my daughter, disc golfing, skiing, etc
- 3 dedicated stretch sessions. 2 10-min lower body and 1 10 min full body (Mon/Wed/Fri)
- 20-30 minute midday walk on work days
- Track every bite
- Drink 10 glasses of water per day
- Find some quiet time to calm my thoughts and mind. 2 5-10 minute sessions
Please stay tuned for more updates. If you have been enjoying this, please become an email follower or a wordpress follower. Having this public audience has been a positive motivation for me to continue working towards my goals and so I really am thankful for all of you!
|Date||Change in Weight|
* I first weighed myself on a Sunday night and began the regular weigh-ins the following morning
4 thoughts on “299.8 and weekly reflections: 8/18 – 8/24”
Your post gave me goose bumps. SOOO proud and happy for you Ben. Keep going! Sounds trite, but you know me professionally and I typically live by “never give up.”
Jane. Thank you so much. I plan to keep going because… how could I stop!?!? 🙂
That is awesome Ben! I came here from the main peloton page. So encouraging!!!! I know you will meet all your fitness goals! #LaVonne87
Monique, thank you so much! Maybe I’ll see you on a ride sometime!